Coins and Price Problems - Examples and Questions with AnswersJun 06, 2021
What are Coins and Price Problems?
Coins and price problems involve operations on different denominations of currencies to find the total amount or number of different types of currencies present. There are different coins which are used like 1p, 2p, 10p, 50p, £1, £2. In this category of problems, different types of questions are asked like to find the total number of different coins, the value of different coins, etc.
Basic Coins and Price Problems
- Stuart has five more 1p coins than 5p coins. If he has 35p, How many coins does he have in total?
- Alisa has three times as many 10p coins as 20p coins. If Alisa has £2.50. How many 20p coins does Alisa have?
- Matt has got 15 more 5p coins than 1p coins. Find the total amount in the pound if he has a total of twenty 1p coins.
- A jar has 40 coins consisting of 2p and 5p coins. If the total amount of money is £1.76. How many 2p coins are there in the jar?
- Scott has twice as many 2p coins as 5p coins. He has also thrice as many 1p coins as many 2p coins. Scott has a total of £4.50. Find the total number of 1p coins with him?
Advanced Coins and Price Word Problems
- Hilbert has £5, which he uses to buys gift. He gets £0.5 back in coins of 2p and 5p. If the total number of coins received is sixteen, How many 2p and 5p coins does he get?
- Meghan exchanged his £5 note for coins of 50p and 20p. If he got ten 20p coins, how many 50p coins does he receive?
- Robert has got four varieties of coins with him: 2p, 5p, 20p and 50p. If he a minimum of two coins of each type and has 18 coins in total. What is the total minimum amount (in pounds) that Samuel can have?
- Larry has a total of £6 consisting of 20p, £1 and £2 coins. If he has two £2 coins, find the maximum number of 20p coins he can have?
- Grace has a total of £7.50 consisting of ten 20p coins and nineteen 50p and 10p coins combined. Find the number of 10p coins with her?
- 2p: 10 coins; 5p: 65 coins
How to Solve Coins and Price Problems?
Example 1: Scott has twice as many 2p coins as 5p coins. He has also thrice as many 1p coins as many 2p coins. Scott has a total of £4.50. Find the total number of 1p coins with him?
Example 2: Grace has a total of £7.50 consisting of ten 20p coins and nineteen 50p and 10p coins combined. Find the number of 10p coins with her?
To learn more about 11+ Advanced Algebra topics, word problems and how to solve them, view our video lessons on Advanced Algebra Word Problems for 11+ Exams.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.